Bright-Eyed Brew Co., Ocean Springs

Hey, friends! I have another feature from Ocean Springs (no surprise there).

I am a sucker for cute and hidden local coffee shops. I am especially drawn to shops that advertise their HOMEMADE nitro cold brew on tap. Bright-Eyed infuses all of their coffee options with nitro, which creates a very smooth and creamy texture. Unlike other coffee shops, Bright-Eyed pre-brews all of their coffee like you would for cold brew coffee (24 hours steeping process). I gathered that their brand is based around offering products with higher amounts of caffeine than your typical cup of joe, hence the name "Bright-Eyed". The idea for this coffee shop came up when a couple was listening to a podcast about coffee and food trucks, and they decided that they would dive into the coffee industry and focus their products around what they love most--nitro cold brew. The husband is actually who made my coffee when I visited, and he was so kind and hospitable. 

Along with their selections of local coffee beans, they sell their in-house cold brew in these adorable 32 oz glass jars for customers who can't make the trip to the shop every day, but want to start their day with Bright-Eyed Brew Co.'s cold brew. 

What really encouraged me to take the trip to try their coffee was their instagram post announcing that their new homemade blueberry syrup made with locally-grown blueberries was available for a limited time. When I was asked what I wanted, I asked for them to make whatever they wanted, but to make sure that they included that homemade blueberry syrup. It turns out that I had arrived just in time because the last bit of the syrup was used in my coffee! This blueberry iced nitro cold brew was INSANEly delicious. I am fully convinced that using homemade or local ingredients make for a far better finished product. 

Unfortunately, I have had enough caffeine in my life already that my body has started to require more than the normal amount to actually have an effect on me. But, this coffee really jolted me awake, which I can only assume is thanks to the nitro infusion! 

Nitro infused coffee, first created in 2012, is becoming progressively popular since Starbucks and Dunkin started offering it on their menus. Being the coffee obsessive that I am, I have already developed a love for nitro and am fairly familiar with what that entails. But, I feel like many people are not familiar with what nitrogen in coffee actually does. So, let me explain. 

   What is Nitro Cold Brew Coffee?
Nitro Cold Brew is, as it is titled, cold brewed coffee with nitrogen gas infused in it. This sounds simple, but the process is very detailed, and for good reason! As many of you know, cold brewed coffee is created through the process of allowing coarsely ground coffee beans to sit in cold water for at least 24 to 48 hours. The amount of time that you allow it to brew simply depends on how strong you want the coffee to taste! Then, much like soda or beer brewing processes, with a specific dispensing mechanism, the nitrogen gas is infused into the coffee. Because nitrogen doesn't dissolve into liquids very well, it creates and holds very small bubbles. These tiny bubbles add a very satisfying, smooth, and creamy texture to the coffee. The bubbles should provide enough smoothness, that you won't need to add creamer or milk to your drink.
 
 Nitro Cold Brew w/ Blueberry


Three major advantages to nitro cold brew:
    -much less acidity (bye bye, acid reflux!!)
    -bubbles create natural creaminess (no need for dairy add ins)
    -natural sugary taste (no need for sugary syrups, unless its homemade blueberry syrup...)
    -less water=MUCH more room for caffeine 



I have acid reflux, am lactose intolerant, need the extra caffeine, and usually try to steer clear of added sugars. So, nitro is basically an answered prayer for me!!

Although, it is slightly pricier than a regular drip coffee. If I remember correctly, I paid $4.95 for my 12 oz. nitro cold brew. As compared to many shops, this isn't super expensive. But, for anyone who decides that they want to have nitro every day of their life (me), your bank account would start to hurt after a while. 

Their branding was so bright and fun; it was very fitting to their name and their mission. The actual shop was pretty small, but they had a ton of seating outside along the sidewalk, which is where most customers chose to sit. When you decide to make that trip to Ocean Springs, start your day with Bright Eyed Brew Company. I can promise you that it will wake you up and keep you going for the day. Be adventurous and ask for the nitro cold brew!

I started doing some research on options to have nitro at home, and from what I found, it's not a cheaper route to take. Because you are dealing with holding gas and releasing it into a drink, you would have to invest in certain equipment. If you are an everyday nitro drinker, this may prove to be a better option financially. This link will take tell you about your at-home options and talks about their product, the NitroBrew.






Support your small businesses, friends! Stay safe, wear a mask, and wash your hands <3






Comments

  1. I always look forward to reading your posts! It turns out, most of your favorite places to eat/drink on the coast are my favorite as well! I have only tried Bright Eyed Brew Company once but totally loved my drink! I agree with you that a Nitro Cold Brew gives your coffee much more richness and creaminess that you don't need milk or cream. I usually hate my coffee without a little bit of half and half, so I was surprised when I enjoyed the nitro cold brew without any cream. I am looking forward to traveling to the coast again so I can try something else off the Bright Eyed Brew Company menu.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nitro Cold Brew is one of my favorite coffee. I try to make it myself many times but I am not that organize so I often forget to steep it overnight. You can image how I feel when I woke up and learned that there was no coffee that day. Of course, I resorted to the French Press Coffee. It is nice to have plan B. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard such great things about Bright-Eyed Brew Co. from friends on the coast, so I'm so excited to hopefully try it soon! I've tried nitro cold brew once before, and I wasn't crazy about it. It was super bitter and way too bubbly. After reading your post, I'm thinking that it wasn't made correctly. I can't wait to give nitro cold brew another try!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts