Mockingbird Cafe, Bay St. Louis
I started my week with a trip to Mockingbird Cafe in Bay St. Louis! The cafe and art gallery was established in 2006 and (my favorite part) lives in a small house built in 1868. Unfortunately, because of social distancing initiatives, the cafe had to temporarily close off the art gallery.After Hurricane Katrina, many residents and volunteers, who were cleaning up the mess left behind, found that mockingbirds provided a comforting and hopeful symbol during a very challenging and seemingly hopeless time. So, the cafe decided that they would name their cafe after this symbolic bird. How sweet is that?! I am such a sucker for a cool backstory.
![]() |
| Lavender Cold Brew & Orange Cranberry Scone |

The idea of something so positive being created out of such a traumatic event can really warm you up, especially during these strange times. Their coffee menu was large, but not so much so that you got lost in your options and they had cleverly placed several pastries at the register. The employees were so sweet, the service was fast, and everything was very affordable for my grad student budget! I ended up getting a lavender cold brew with almond milk and, impulsively, a cranberry and orange scone. Of course, both were amazing and I HIGHLY recommend. The icing on the cake was that I got to enjoy both on their century-old front porch. Now, I just have to come up with an excuse to drive to Bay St. Louis every morning...



Robyn, it is always interseting for me to know more about new places and their history, especially local places, so it would be easier for me to go and visit them, it is very intersesting topic, and I can't wait to read more.
ReplyDeleteFrom the pictures, the cafe looks very rustic. I may need to find time to visit this cafe and try their coffee and pastry! Thanks for sharing.
ReplyDeleteRobyn, I will have to stop by this place next time I am near the Bay St. Louis area. I love little local coffee shops and old homes. There is so much character and history, and this place seems to embody both of these things. I look forward to learning more about the coastal area through your blogs.
ReplyDelete