Long Beach Market & Deli

Long Beach Deli and Market is a very well-known family business established in 2011 right in the middle of Long Beach. What makes them stand out from the rest is their unique twist on traditional asian foods! Their head chef, Lucia Van Norden, grew up in South Korea and combined this upbringing with what she learned in the US! Their menu has anything from Korean BBQ to Korean-style poboys to Banh Mi summer rolls (my all time favorite)!
Personally, I am a sucker for spicy foods and especially Asian food. I remember my first meal here and it has stuck with me ever since: Korean red beans and rice with Vietnam farm-raised catfish on top. It was, hands down, the best red beans and rice I have ever had (I eat ALOT of red beans and rice). I love that they are willing to experiment and merge two different cultures' cuisines while keeping the Korean culture at the front end of everything they create and serve. Long Beach market and deli is the first restaurant to introduce me to the traditional Vietnamese dish, Banh Mi roasted pork sandwich, which is now one of my favorite foods! Basically, a Banh Mi is spicy roasted pork with pickled carrots, cucumbers, and radishes on top, but it is cooked with unique Korean ingredients. Take my word for it; it is phenomenal. There is a very deep history that is carried with the Banh Mi pork sandwich.
![]() |
| Banh Mi Summer Rolls |
In fact, this iconic Vietnamese sandwich was created in 1954 by Mr. and Mrs. Le after Vietnam split into two countries. According to Matthew Pike (2018) with The Culture Trip, although the Banh Mi meat mixture was already a well-established dish, the couple was the first to throw the meat into a poboy style bun. After the split, many Vietnamese fled south and needed food on their travels, but the couple did not have bowls or plates. Because of this, they came up with the idea to throw the meat into a bun to provide an easy traveling meal, which introduced the, now famous, Banh Mi sandwich. After the 1975 fall of Saigon, the Vietnamese people fled to the Americas and brought the idea of these sandwiches with them.
This link explains the full and detailed history behind this wonderful sandwich: The History of the Banh Mi Sandwich
Along with the Korean cuisine, the restaurant is also a large provider of craft beer! An entire half of the inside of the restaurant is lined with display coolers and freezers filled with unique and locally crafted beers. A few of the many brewing companies that they sell for include Parish, Southern Prohibition, Port Orleans, Stone, Chandeleur Island, Rogue, Bell's, Sweet Water, and so so many more.
If you want to make your own Banh Mi sandwich, I have found a good traditional recipe: Traditional Banh Mi
This restaurant is, no doubt, a town favorite and has won many awards for their success. On June 6th, the deli announced that they won the "Best of Mississippi M-List Award for Best Deli", which means they were voted the best deli in the entire state of Mississippi. I think that kind of says it all.
Continue to support your local businesses and PLEASE do it safely. Thanks y'all!
Pike, M. (2018, January 2). The Curious History of Vietnam's Bánh Mì Sandwich. Retrieved June 17, 2020, from https://theculturetrip.com/asia/vietnam/articles/the-curious-history-of-vietnams-banh-mi-sandwich/



I am so interested in visiting Long Beach Market and Deli now! I love Korean food, but never thought of Long Beach Market and Deli to be a Korean-American restaurant. The Banh Mi sandwich is one of my favorite sandwiches, so I can't wait to try it! The history you included about the Banh Mi sandwich was really interesting. I would never have guessed that the reason they made it into a sandwich was because they didn't have any bowls/plates. I love to cook, so I may have to try the recipe you included for the Banh Mi sandwich!
ReplyDeleteI would have to say that I love Korean foods and spicy foods very much. Also, it is interesting to see how they combined the different cultures in one cuisine. Furthermore, I have to say that I never tried Banh Mi Sandwich/Summer Rolls before. However, after reading your blog, I need to drive down to Long Beach market and deli to try the Banh Mi Summer Rolls, because the picture that you included and the way you explained the Banh Mi Summer Rolls make me want to try it so much. I also like how you include the article about the history of the Banh Mi Sandwich, and it is interesting to see where or how it emerged. Thank you for sharing! I am looking forward to reading more about the different places in Long Beach!!
ReplyDeleteI absolutely need to visit Long Beach Deli and Market. I love Korean BBQ and the Banh Mi sandwich. Now I feel bad that I do not leave in Long Beach. Anyway, I should be happy that I have an excuse to visit Long Beach more often now.
ReplyDelete