Bankhouse Coffee, Long Beach


 


Hey friends!

I think it's time for another coffee shop feature. Isn't it always, though?

Bankhouse Coffee was established in 2000, when the owners saw a stunning, but empty 1924 bank building on Jeff Davis Avenue in Long Beach and decided to turn it into a coffee shop. 

In 1924, this building was the first commercial building to be built on Jeff Davis by Hancock County Bank as a second branch location. It was primarily meant to serve the developing truck farming industry coming to Long Beach. The bank moved to Gulfport, MS in 1933 because of impacts caused by the Great Depression. The building, then, became a local library for about 3 months in 1939. Next, the building was rented out by a postal service until 1960. This beautiful and historic building was left empty until 2000 when the owners of today's Coast Roast Coffee & Tea saved it and turned it into Bankhouse Coffee.

After the new bank building owners lived the coffee-shop-owner life for a few years, they decided to venture into coffee wholesale distribution, which lead to the creation of Coast Roast Coffee & Tea. They expanded to locations in Gulfport, several shops in New Orleans, and Ponchatoula, Louisiana. Basically, their coffee is real good. My regular order is a LARGE iced coffee with almond milk, and it has never failed me (at least for the 8 years that I have been ordering it, haha). Although, they are most well-known for their frozen coffees. Take every single person you ask's word for it...

LOOK @ THAT TILE Y'ALL
LOOK @ THAT FLOOR TILE, Y'ALL

As you can imagine, the building is as beautifully preserved on the inside as it is on the outside. The service counters, overhead arches, and detailed floor tile designs are what bankers and bank customers in the early 20's saw when they came to Hancock Bank. The exposed brick and original features provide a very welcoming and unique environment and it almost feels, as though, you are drinking coffee in a museum! I have been spending time in this coffee shop, since I was in middle school. I think many Long Beach natives would agree that this is a staple, when it comes to treating yourself to a delicious coffee (sometimes even surprise pastries and deserts down the hall to the left).

When I sat in the shop thinking about what I would discuss with you guys, I noticed that the room was SO busy with customers and filled to the rim conversations and movement, but still was somehow so, very peaceful?  I was able to write a research paper without headphones, if that puts what I'm saying into perspective. This idea of busy, but peaceful really reminded me of the personality of Long Beach, as a whole. This town is definitely busy and active like all places in the world, today. But, at the same time, it manages to be one of the most still and peaceful places I know. 

Thanks, Bankhouse, for the good mems
and the in-between.
From this, I am happily reminded why I love coming home and being home. Everywhere you go, there will be constant movement. But, it takes a very special and unique place to be just as peaceful and quiet at the same time. I sincerely hope that all of you can experience this feeling because busy and still is the coolest in-between to exist in EVER. 


As always, support your locals, but do it safely! Wear that mask and wash your hands, friends.



















Comments

  1. I love having a place where I can kickback, enjoy a good book, and sip on an iced-coffee. Excellent read! Can't wait to try them out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! The history of this building is incredible. The story of how it went from a bank to a library and then to a post office to eventually housing a coffee shop is very interesting. I also enjoy that that the current owners pay homage to the original purpose of the building.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Every time I read your blog, I would like to move down to the coast to experience all these foods, especially coffee. I really want to stop by this place. It seems unreal to have a coffee shop locates in a historical bank. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts